Cross Canada- Long Distance Moving

International moves are becoming more and more common in today’s day and age.  If you have decided to move to the U.S., we can help you with the transition.  The planning, coordination, scheduling and paperwork can be and overwhelming task.  Homeland Moving and Storage can assist you with the move so that it becomes a little bit easier for you to move your family and household.  We can help with the logistics and the physical move so that you can concentrate on your work and family during the transition. We have a lot of experience in moving households from Canada to U.S or vice versa.  Our team of experts can help you through the documentation required at the border to move your belongings.  We can walk you through the process so that there are no surprises when your precious cargo arrives at the border and requires clearance.  Being thorough with the right documents will ensure that there are no delays or unforeseen issues during your move.  The following list is a starting point for you and we can help you with the rest. 

Moving from Canada to the U.S.: 

  • Photocopy of the first page of your passport including photo
  • Alternate photo ID (if you do not have a passport)
  • Offer of employment
  • Work/study visa
  • CBP Form 3299 US Customs and Border Control
  • CBP Form 3299 US Customs and Border Control


You can access some of these forms here:

The United States allows household goods and furniture to be brought into the country duty-free, provided the items have been used for more than one year.  This includes but is not limited to goods like:

  • Rugs
  • Wall décor/other decorative accessories
  • Furniture
  • Sheets, beddings, linens
  • Kitchen utensils, dishes, cutlery

All of this will need to be declared at the border when entering the country.  Additional information can be found at: or 202-325-8000.


Moving from the U.S to Canada:

  • US Passport/Birth Certificate
  • CBP Form 3299 US Customs and Border Control

You can access some of these forms here:

Canada Customs regulations require the owner of the goods to clear them in person.  As soon as the truck with your belongings arrives at the border, our representative will get in touch with you so that you can arrange a meeting at the custom office to declare your items.  The following documents will be required at the time of declaration.

  • Photo Identification
  • Passport or Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate if the spouse has a different name
  • Employer Letter of Intent
  • Work Visa

Sometimes, there can be duty, taxes owing or other fees that will have to be paid prior to the goods being released by the customs office. 
For more information, you can visit the following websites:


For this process to be as smooth as possible, it is really essential that you have documentation like passports, photo ID’s, birth certificates, Social Insurance or Social Security etc, all up to date.  We will guide you every step of the way to ease the transition and make this daunting task smooth and worry free.